Today, we can see that the technology is growing dramatically. It affects many aspects of life and with ecommerce as well. The use of mobile devices is very common in modern life; this makes the ecommerce website owners need to upgrade their website to bring better experiences to their customers who access via mobile devices.
The responsive design is a solution which helps the website owner can create a mobile friendly website. However, there are many questions that responsive design is really important in the present time? To get the answer, let’s take a look about some statistics below.
There are many people use mobile devices (smartphone, tablet…) to shopping online
5 out of 4 smartphone users now use their smartphones to shopping online: this shows us that more and more people who using mobile devices to shopping online. It means the enterprises need to catch up with this trend if want to succeed in e-commerce.
The conversion rates of mobile users
Here are the statistics about the conversion rate:
- 70% of mobile searches lead to online action within an hour’s time.
- Conversion percentage on mobile devices is nearly three times higher than the same search.
- The average smartphone user spends more than two hours a day on their mobile device and more than half of consumer time spent on the internet in on mobile devices.
- Each mobile search triggers an average of 2 follow-up actions.
- 55% of conversions from mobile search happen within an hour (for example: phone call, store visit or purchase)
So we can see that the conversion rate of mobile users is relatively high. If we can take advantage of that, make sure your sales will be significantly improved. The thing that the website owners need to do now is improving the user experience for customers who have the habit of using mobile devices. So, using responsive design is a cost-effective solution. Responsive design will help your site can display, operate with full functionality as when using the computer.
Before concluding that responsive design is important or not, let’s see some statistics below:
- Responsive website design adoption over time (top websites according to alexa)
- Increased sales have been reported by 62% of companies which designed their websites for mobile platforms, and by 64% that designed their website for tablets.
- 74% of users say that if a site works well on their phone, they’re more likely to visit it again.
- 67% of shoppers are more likely to buy from a website that is conpatible with mobile devices than not.
- Max width trends of responsive websites
Perhaps it is not hard to realize that using responsive design directly affects the sales of the ecommerce business. In addition, seems like most of our customers want to use the website which has responsive feature. The number 67% and 74% of shoppers who like to use responsive website is very noticeable.
So, the answer for the question: “Responsive design is important for the website today?” It’s absolutely “YES”, in my opinion. As noted above, this is a very good solution for a mobile friendliness website, but of course it is not the only one. You also can use the mobile theme, mobile app to create mobile version for your site.
For more info, you can read this article: Magento Responsive Theme or Magento Mobile Theme . The choice is yours and you can use which way you want, but I always prefers to use responsive design.
Image source @Google
Statistics from @Go-Gulf